Thursday, April 25, 2013

Pittsburgh's weather is going through an existential mid-life crisis


If you live in this town, I don't need to go any further. You know exactly what I mean.

I am now sitting in my apartment and finally the sun is out , there is a subtle yet invigorating breeze, no rain, no snow, no below zero, and no above 80 degrees. In other words, no sunburn and no flu's.

That pretty much sums up the weather here over the last couple of weeks. During this weird schizophrenic climate we have had to endure, I keep getting reminded of my youth. In particular, a time I was in art class, and would ride my bike there, manned with my usual staples of paintbrushes, and, on occasion, some material I found on the side of a road I wanted to explore), would get halfway up that horrible hill to realize with much irritation, that we were doing oil pastels. And no, I did not put them in my bag.

After rolling all the way back down the hill, back home to grab my pastels, then towards the hill again, I remember pastels were changed to the basics of sculpture. And we were all told sternly, that we would not be allowed to enter class without our protective glasses we had a month to acquire before now. Back down and home, I grab the glasses, ditch the pastels (being hot and flustered in summer does this to you) and attempt the hill again.

Yes, my memory works like a browser; one-queue-only loop handling, where multi-threading is not possible...

So, my brain;

acrylics();
pastels();
goggles();

// wait for it.....

watercolors();

Now any right-minded fool would keep watercolors in their staple-stash, but I had this deluxe 100-color edition in a posh wooden box, and I didn't want them getting bashed around in my bag.

After my tri-hill workout, I arrive to find out some grad student is taking over the class for the day and is going to teach us how to digital-paint.....

I think you can kind of see how this memory would be called forth by this weather, in an obtuse, convoluted kind of way. perhaps.....

I mean, in Pittsburgh, one day it was over 80 and time to get a suntan, then the very next, dropped like 50 degrees or something and snowed! This was before three days of rain, before another chill period of a day or two.

What's really amazing is Pittsburghers seem to roll with the punches quite easily. Though everyone complains incessantly about this god-awful weather, you never see anyone ill-dressed/prepared. Even if the day mid-changed, like today. It was below freezing again last night/early this morning and now its almost 50.....

I wish I was that organized!

I want a proper spring I tell you!

No comments:

Post a Comment